Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Future Perfect

Heidi Heitkamp is the post-menopausal woman I wanna be someday. I didn't even know I had aspirations for post-menopause until she told me how it alleviated her need to be liked. How it inspired her to simply move forward and lose the need to justify or be diplomatic or even concerned with others feeling okay with that. Here's the beauty of it -- this woman ran for governor. She served as ND's attorney general and only now, when she is out of the public eye is she completely unfettered. I wish I could get a shot of that -- an injection of righteous, confident woman-juice.

This comes from the fact that I'm feeling a bit battered and kind of knocked around lately. Maybe the fact that I'm sick of kowtowing and being appropriate is the beginning of menopause! Maybe you have to get fed up in order to get all gloriously and fully womanized.

I think I'll make a vow here and now. First, I'm going to embrace the future. I look forward to 40 and beyond. I'm going to be stronger, better and happier every year moving forward. And I'm going to look to my elders for inspiration. I've been pretty positive about aging, but now I'm going to get with my potential in a big way. I'm going to focus on every moment and find joy when its in front of me. I'm going to observe, and then I'm going to alleviate regret from my life.

And when I achieve all this, I'm going to get out there and offer a hand to the self flagellating 30-something working moms who need the encouragement of knowing that these days are hard but worth it, and that they are amazing, deserving, good good women, excellent mothers and outstanding wives. I'm going to give them the juice!

1 comment:

Candace Brekke said...

I'm glad to see you back in blog land