Monday, July 21, 2008

My Resolution is No Resolution

I was recently stopped in my tracks by the following radical concept: Not everything needs to be resolved.

This may sound like a no-brainer to some, Shadd for instance was completely nonplussed, but it blew my package-wrapping mind. I am not hung up on the perfect picture of things, but I do have this vision that all things will turn out right in the end. That someday, just desserts will be given and everyone will get on the same page. But life is not this way and most of the resolution I envision, is out of my control. Or so my acupuncunturist/therapist tells me.

I am trying hard to apply this notion to my life. I"m letting things go. I'm absolving myself of the effort I've been putting into this resolution treadmill. On the homefront this is taking the form of a potty-training retreat. No more potty-pushing. No more diaper slamming, no more huffing and puffing and fuming over the fumes. No more lectures on big boys and good boys. The energy lost! We're all embracing things as they are. I'm going to try to be more like them. As Ryder said the other day "Nah, I dont need go on potty mom. I went yast week." It is what it is.